Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sleepless Night, Horrible Storm.

Hello All,

Unfortunetly I have some not so great news. Firstly before anyone panics everyone on the boat is safe, and we are okay. It's 7:30am now and no one has slept all night or at least past 1:00am. Let me try and explain what has happened.

I fell asleep last night at about 12:30 at 1:00 I woke up and heard terrible winds and Theo our skipper as well as our other crew members were outside talking. I couldn't sleep so I went upstairs and asked what was going on. We were in the harbour and we were with 5 other boats on our side. Theo explained to me that a large storm was coming and he just told me to pray that our anchors held and that everyone elses did too because if someones failed then the boats would go on top of eachother.

Unfortunetly next to our sailboat were two large yachts. This was the direction the wind was blowing in. I went downstairs to put on some pants came back up and realized that the boat next to us which was MUCH bigger than us had there anchor slide they were going to hit us. I freaked, I started shaking, my heart beat raced a thousand miles per minute. For one second it felt as though I was watching the Titanic or a scary movie and then realized it was reality. Theo started yelling at the 6 of us who were currently on board to grab a bouy and place it on the side of the boat. The boat hit us once but luckily we got there in time.

At this point the yacht had to leave harbour or he would hit us, damage our boat, and then we would go on top of the smaller sailboat next to us. Basically he left one string tied to the dock as he tried to pull out so as the wind was blowing. (might I add at 60miles per hour. this is considered a light hurricane) his front end of the yacht came crashing into the front of our boat. He were hit. Everyone was yelling. By this time all the men came up but could do nothing. The yacht tried to go forward at full speed to get out and of course he panicked and ran over our anchor with his propellor we were officially stuck together and he came banging back and hit the front of or boat again. I seriously have never been so scared in my life. 4 hours passed of this commotion, we couldn't unhook him until morning. In the mean time everyone was running around helping us not crash into the boat next to us, as well as getting tires and more bouys for the back of the boat so we didn't hit the dock. It has honestly been the craziest night and everyone is exhausted. We are waiting to hear what the damage is.

Currently back at the boat we have a professional diver in the water as we are getting some day light. The only thing we have found broken and damaged so far is our anchor chain so we won't be leaving Skropolis for a few days. Our deck is covered in salt water because of the high winds, and water that was constantly thrown on board. It is still quite windy but the winds should die down later today.

I am sorry for the long entry but I knew some of you would want to know. Please pray for us as we may be stuck on the island for a few days repairing damages, our crew team and all our members are exhausted, and we truly don't know all the damage and how long it will take to un-tie our boat's anchor with the yachts propeller. I praise God that no one was hurt out of this and we hope that the wind will die down so that tomorrow night nothing bad will happen.

Thank You for listening. I honestly cannot describe how horrible this past night was. I never imagined myself expriencing something like this, it was absoulte chaos. I didn't cry though, knowing that I had hold myself together for the team, and so that I was able to help out with all the things tha constantly needed to be done.

Thank You for your prayers. We do need them. Sorry....one more prayer request: the weather forcast is not looking good for the next few days and the large cove we are in can be dangerous to sail out of. When we are able to leave pray for safety.

I will update later today when I can and when I know more.

God Bless!

2 comments:

Brenda Johnson said...

Most importantly, no one was hurt. I can't imagine what you've been through the past several hours. I wish I was there for you. Trust in God and your prayers, and know we are constantly thinking of you and loving you. I know you will make the best of a bad situation and I'm so proud of you for keeping your cool during the storm. Bravo! Please keep us informed as often as you can. Love Mom, Dad

JenGabel said...

I am happy that you are safe. Although your situation is frightening you have remained strong. I will lift you up in prayer every day. I trust that Our Lord will walk with you and protect you on this wonderful journey. Hope that you have better weather soon.

Love and prayers,
Jenny