Thursday, July 30, 2009

Off to the Train!

Hello All,

It is 8am local time and I've packed up all my stuff and I'm getting ready to travel by train to Northern Greece to a city called Volos. This is where I will get on my sailboat and travel the Greek Islands for 2 weeks. I am looking forward to taking the train and getting somewhere out of the big city!

Yesterday as you know I visited the National Archaeological Museum which was really neat, then I walked around, went to some Greek shops, and had to go on a decently long walk to the train station to purchase my train tickets. I had a really interesting evening last night. haha I met a group of some very funny Australians who were quite fun, we laughed alot and then watched the riot/protest together. Let me explain:

I was kind of a bit scared myself but they seemed to think it was fine. I guess the Nigerians who live here did some work on Greek buildings, didn't get payed, and therefore are protesting. They were lighting things on fire (and i mean lots of things), throwing garbage, and screaming into microphones as they marched the streets. And of course I find out that my hostel is in the Ghetto...so guess where they were marching??? haha RIGHT OUTSIDE!!! lol

Anyway, I am safe and all is well. It's probably a good thing I'm leaving Athens and then staying at a different hostel when I'm back! :)

Well, I will update once I arrive safely in my hotel in Volos. After that there will be limited updates when I'm on the sailboat.

My prayers are with you all back in Canada. Please keep praying for me as well!

Love, Maryse

No comments: